Friday 25 March 2011

Dear Mr Motoring Magazine/Website

I could be wrong, but I get the impression you like the VW Golf.

Why?

It can't be due to back-handers, I'm pretty sure VAG wouldn't do that, not to every single magazine/website.

Could it be, perhaps, that you're slightly out of touch with the public?

Time and again you praise the Golf for it's style, or build quality, or road manners, or reliability and yet, as far as I can tell, it's pretty middling in all those areas. Others do it so much better.

I was trying to think what cars, in a like-for-like head-to-head, I would choose over the Golf, were I in that position:
Golf vs Vauxhall Astra: Astra - much more stylish
Golf vs Ford Focus: Focus - better handling and (in its latest incarnation) pretty stylish too
Golf vs Skoda Octavia: Octavia - price and interior space
Golf vs Kia Cee'd: Cee'd - price and 7 year warranty
Golf vs Toyota Auris: Oh, OK, I'd probably take the Golf, unless reliability was paramount

So, if anyone would care to enlighten me as to why the Golf is so feted by motoring journalists, I'd love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment